Wednesday, November 8, 2017

Can Food Really Be Free?

So a friend of mine asked me if I wanted some black walnuts she had picked. $10 for about 30 gallons of walnuts? I think. That resulted to about 25 pounds of walnuts with some being trashed. Let me tell you that was a lot of work! Then my dear sweet Mom said she wanted some. So my friend offered me 20 more gallons for free, so I took them. Well Mom thought the were English walnuts and when I told her they weren't she doesn't want them anymore
😂😂😂😂

So getting to my point it is a lot of work hulling and cleaning these guys. So is food really ever free? It still is a lot of work. Now I am mostly a localvore, but I think there is a new trend to look down upon people who don't do local food. I don't have kids and I have a tough time getting things done in my life. Imagine if I had kids and wanted to forage and deal with the free food system... Yikes that would be an incredible amount of work!

The only upside is that I will be dealing with partial employment in the month of December so I know I will be super grateful for my $.20 a pound walnuts.

Toodles,
Bitha