Friday, February 4, 2011

Minimalism

As I wrote earlier I am going to be looking for a roommate this summer so I am making some changes in my life. Getting rid of things is my number one priority since I need to make room for another person. I cleaned out my room so that I can get stuff in my spare bedroom in my bedroom and make it a haven that I can retreat to. I was planning on getting rid of my dresser also before snowpocalypse hit, but that is another story. I got it done and I can tell you only having the stuff in my closet and my bed (and the dresser but that is on its way out) made me feel better so I did the same thing to my bathroom. I was surprised how much better I felt with less stuff.
So over the last couple of days I have been doing a lot of reading about minimalism and I have to admit I am intrigued. It makes tons of sense to me and it is my NEW thing to explore. On several blogs the idea of only having 50 to 100 possessions was presented and I find that fascinating. Do I think I can get down to those numbers, nope not right now. However I think a great goal is to get down to 200 this year.
Minimalism goes hand in hand with saving money. From my understanding it is about having what you need nothing more nothing less. It is not about abject poverty but getting away from consumerism. That's all for today...gotta run work and then family time.

Toodles
Bitha