Since the last time I wrote my life has been in a constant flux. I got a new job, got laid off from said job, got a tooth abscess, got recalled to new job, had a swollen lip due to apparent mango allergy.... Did you know the skin of a mango is in the same family as poison oak?, and decided I needed a little non traditional education.
So a really great blog is The Art of Non-Conformity! I had read about Mr. Guillebeau's One Year Alternative Graduate School Program last year and while it interested me I had no time to do it. Now I have plenty of time to do it, however with some tweaks:
1. I will complete my program in 18 months
2. I will get a passport and take at least one trip to another country
3. I will study 6 religions
4. I will study 2 languages: French(I studied this for 14 years and don't remember much) and Italian probably non podcast style
5. I will read 100 books
6. I will become active in theater rather than public speaking skills since the only college education I had was for theater
7. I will shuffle through random wikipedia when at the library
Everything else I should be pretty on the go with. The official start date to the project will be 1/27/2014 although I have already started on the following things:
1. Economist- I am half way through my first one and boy this is tough!
2. Italian- I am through my first CD and love love love it!
3. Kiva loan- I have already done this but will commit to doing an additional one for at least $25
4. Join a gym, my goal will to be to go at least three times a week!
I will be reading the majority of the books and the economist from the library to get the cost down. I hope that my only cost will be for my passport, trip, and new skills.
If you would like to read the blog post of the program I am loosely following here it is: http://chrisguillebeau.com/3x5/the-one-year-alternative-graduate-school-program/
Toodles,
Bitha
So a really great blog is The Art of Non-Conformity! I had read about Mr. Guillebeau's One Year Alternative Graduate School Program last year and while it interested me I had no time to do it. Now I have plenty of time to do it, however with some tweaks:
1. I will complete my program in 18 months
2. I will get a passport and take at least one trip to another country
3. I will study 6 religions
4. I will study 2 languages: French(I studied this for 14 years and don't remember much) and Italian probably non podcast style
5. I will read 100 books
6. I will become active in theater rather than public speaking skills since the only college education I had was for theater
7. I will shuffle through random wikipedia when at the library
Everything else I should be pretty on the go with. The official start date to the project will be 1/27/2014 although I have already started on the following things:
1. Economist- I am half way through my first one and boy this is tough!
2. Italian- I am through my first CD and love love love it!
3. Kiva loan- I have already done this but will commit to doing an additional one for at least $25
4. Join a gym, my goal will to be to go at least three times a week!
I will be reading the majority of the books and the economist from the library to get the cost down. I hope that my only cost will be for my passport, trip, and new skills.
If you would like to read the blog post of the program I am loosely following here it is: http://chrisguillebeau.com/3x5/the-one-year-alternative-graduate-school-program/
Toodles,
Bitha