Saturday, April 29, 2017

This Weeks Local Shopping

I have been totally inspired by Robin Mather's book The Feast Nearby: how I lost my job, buried a marriage, and found my way by keeping chickens, foraging, preserving, bartering, and eating locally (all on forty a week). I think a huge part of why it inspires me is that she wrote this book from the point of view of someone living in Southwest Michigan. Which is where I am from.

So this week shopping went a little like this:

Farmers Market:
-Salad greens
-Salad Mix
-Kale
-Asparagus **** It is the first of the season
-Apples
-Blue Cheese

PFC (Local food coop)
-Coffee
-Creamer from a local dairy
-Nutritional Yeast
-Oats
-Peanut Butter
-Cup of coffee
-Small peanut butter bar
-Mozzarella

So all of this came to about $35 and approximately 75% was local products!!! It is so awesome. So here is what is on the menu for this week:

Potato and asparagus soup
Salad
My usual oats, fruit, peanut butter for breakfast
Pizza
Possible pasta later in the week with ramp pesto that is in my refrigerator
I have some ramp quiche in the freezer as well
I will be making a couple of french bread baguettes as well
I also will be making some tortillas and will probably do some black bean and veggie tacos too

Toodles,

Bitha