One of the things about my new job (sous chef for a coffee shop), is that I am more focused on my goal of low or zero waste. I work with some AMAZING young people that are so passionate about low/zero waste and environmentalism it is so catchy!
The reason my trip was low/zero waste is that I brought my one bags and jars to put my food in. Now honestly all food out of food bins still has packaging associated with it, but it is better than individually packed food.
$4.23 Coffee
$1.69 Whole wheat pasta
$1.33 Popcorn
$1.10 Sesame Sticks
$1.14 Sunflower oil
$.99 Nutritional Yeast
$1.00 Avocado
$1.70 Banana
$.62 Yellow Onion
$1.99 Green Peppers
$2.43 Tomatoes
$18.22 Total
So as I try to trim down my groceries so that I am not wasting and eating nutritiously, I noticed a few places I can do better.
The reason my trip was low/zero waste is that I brought my one bags and jars to put my food in. Now honestly all food out of food bins still has packaging associated with it, but it is better than individually packed food.
$4.23 Coffee
$1.69 Whole wheat pasta
$1.33 Popcorn
$1.10 Sesame Sticks
$1.14 Sunflower oil
$.99 Nutritional Yeast
$1.00 Avocado
$1.70 Banana
$.62 Yellow Onion
$1.99 Green Peppers
$2.43 Tomatoes
$18.22 Total
So as I try to trim down my groceries so that I am not wasting and eating nutritiously, I noticed a few places I can do better.
- I don't need two sets of snacks. I bought sesame sticks and popcorn. From here on out it can be one or the other and I probably will stick with popcorn.
- The whole wheat pasta is pretty expensive for a little over a half of a pound. Yes it is organic, but it is still heavy on my pocket book. I think I will try and start making my own pasta and save that for super busy days.
- The coffee is a decent deal for fair trade and it is good coffee. I am also eligible for half off coffee through my work so I am a little torn, because the place I work for makes AWESOME coffee. The only draw back is that it comes prebagged.
- The bananas and green peppers I will probably start buying at a regular supermarket. They are zero waste on there own and a little more affordable.
Well that is all for now
Toddles
Bitha