Friday, August 19, 2016

Living With Little Waste

So I have never really watched my waste that I produce. I mean I have a trash service it gets taken away every week.

I guess that isn't entirely true. I use to monitor my waste, but didn't really make any effort to reduce it, by recycling and consistent composting. I would try and buy things less wastefully such as some bulk bin food and loose produce, but that was the extent of it. In the colder months I could go 4-5 weeks with all of my trash in the herby curby before I had to put it out on trash day.

So the last two weeks I have made a greater effort to reduce the waste I produce. I will never be like those women who can put all of their trash for years in a mason jar, but I am going to make conscientious effort.

My results so far: About 1/3 of a paper grocery bag. Not to shabby.

What I have learned:
1. Trying to go package free is not necessarily cheaper which is kind of a bummer. I mean I am on a budget here people. Example: I can get gluten free pasta for $2 or $2.50 for about 12oz with packaging (plastic packaging). Going bulk at the coop $4.50 a pound. Coffee is more expensive, but it is significantly better than the cheap stuff I can get.
2. I do enjoy being able to buy in the quantity that I want and can afford. If I want two mini peanut butter cups I can buy two mini peanut butter cups, but in reality who wants only two. Same thing goes with oil, coffee, grains, legumes, etc
3. I can compost a lot more things than I thought. Shredded paper, dryer lint (I use non toxic homemade laundry stuff), toilet paper rolls, coffee grounds, all the veggie scraps that I can't use for broth.
4. I can recycle more than I thought. Recycling is not perfect and I would rather not use items that need to be recycled, but it is nice to think that these items might get a second life. Bags can go to local grocers, my friend has free recycling (I have to pay) so I can add in everything else to hers.
5. For the whole I feel like I am making a lot healthier food choices and simplifying my life because there is a lot less trash rolling around.

Toodles
Bitha