Thursday, September 29, 2016

The Financial Reality of September

So I just got done going through my receipts for food, fun, dog food, and gas money.... it was a lot worse then I thought. I used my debit card WAY too much. I mean WAY too much. Oh and even better I did not pay ANY attention to local or sustainable practices. Here is the break down:

Food/Dog Food/Fun: $317.04 (mostly food)
Extras: $170 (new work clothes, coolant)
Gas: $40
Total: $527.04

Ummm did I mention my budget is $200 for all things a month. So where do I go from here?

1. CASH only. It is way too easy to spend on a debit/credit card.
2. More thoughtful budgeting. I will want to make some hard ciser, possibly go apple picking etc. I love fall I don't want to give that up.
3. Get back to the local/package free when possible. Yes it is hard on such a teeny tiny budget, but I can do it!
4. Find my tribe. I feel some of this over spending is from feeling isolated from people.
5. I am contemplating my own type of $1 a day challenge for food spending. I don't think I could do a $1 a day, but maybe $2 a day. I would not count my free meals at work though. I do consider it a great perk of working in the food industry and will always encourage people who are financially insecure to work somewhere in the food industry for free food.
6. Committing to fruits and vegetables package free, bulk bins weekly, local when affordable. I should be able to manage packaging only from animal products.

Toodles
Bitha