Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Fav Money Saving Tip

So for the last couple of months I have been a serious spender. I pretty much have abandoned most of my frugal ways. I think it is a pretty common problem when people see an increase in income no matter how small it is.

Starting to blog again has made me realize where my priorities are. I want to own a large garden/possible farm where I build my own small house to live in. To get there I need to start up my frugal habits so that I one day have money for the farm and once I acquire the farm I will be accustomed to a frugal lifestyle.

So without further ado, a present to you my favorite money saving tip: Ditch the Plastic. I don't think debit or credit cards are bad. I think for the right person they are great tools to manage money. However, for me it just keeps me disconnected from my money. I miss the days of actually getting a paycheck and taking it to the bank.

So I have decided that for now I will give myself a cash only budget every week and once that money is gone its gone. I pretty much have done this for the last week and a half, with the exception of a dinner out with friends, but I am definitely finding that I am not spending as much.

The other way to ditch the plastic is to stop buying foods wrapped in plastic. Buy your fruits and vegetables whole and not wrapped in plastic, make your own bread, make your own snacks and convenience foods in a reusable container, shop at stores with bulk bins that let you bring your own containers, and utilize farmers, farmers markets, and csa's to reduce your plastic use. When you make your own food from scratch in can be much more economical than buying something premade and wrapped in plastic.

Toodles
Bitha