It has been a great week!
I had the pleasure of meeting Chef Kabui. He is a social justice farmer and chef! He spoke about needing to take responsibility about food by growing, preparing, and cooking your own food. He spoke about a lot of other things too, but these are the things that pertain to this blog.
So for lent I am giving up eating at the cafeteria at work. Getting free meals is part of my benefits, but I tend to eat junk food when I am there.
Yesterday I spent my evening getting ingredients around for mmy book club. We are reading the book Original Local. The only thing is that my money for the month is either spent or planned out. I finally found a recipe that I had most of the ingredients for... I have some local asparagus in my freezer, cranberries that I dried last year, local garlic, but I was missing cheese and black walnuts. I had just enough milk and vinegar to make some cheese... Next the walnuts. I have about 40 pounds of black walnuts, but those suckers are a pain in the you know what to shell. 2 hours later I have about 1/3 of a cup. I was set to make it tomorrow.
Fast forward to today. Got sick after work and couldn't go to the book club. Such a bummer.
Toodles,
Bitha
I had the pleasure of meeting Chef Kabui. He is a social justice farmer and chef! He spoke about needing to take responsibility about food by growing, preparing, and cooking your own food. He spoke about a lot of other things too, but these are the things that pertain to this blog.
So for lent I am giving up eating at the cafeteria at work. Getting free meals is part of my benefits, but I tend to eat junk food when I am there.
Yesterday I spent my evening getting ingredients around for mmy book club. We are reading the book Original Local. The only thing is that my money for the month is either spent or planned out. I finally found a recipe that I had most of the ingredients for... I have some local asparagus in my freezer, cranberries that I dried last year, local garlic, but I was missing cheese and black walnuts. I had just enough milk and vinegar to make some cheese... Next the walnuts. I have about 40 pounds of black walnuts, but those suckers are a pain in the you know what to shell. 2 hours later I have about 1/3 of a cup. I was set to make it tomorrow.
Fast forward to today. Got sick after work and couldn't go to the book club. Such a bummer.
Toodles,
Bitha