Sunday, February 18, 2018

Missing Convenience

The things I have tasked myself for this year really make me miss the convenience of the modern world:

-Food: Because I gave up eating in the cafeteria at work, this one is really hitting hard this week. Having to prepare the majority of items because I am trying to make food from scratch means a lot more work. As I sit here and eat a slice of deep dish that I made from scratch (not the cheese...yay convenience) and drinking a beer that I made a year and a half ago it was work, the beer especially. Is worth it yes! Not only is it delicious, but the cost of the beer kit was $60 (free for me as it was a Christmas gift) and time. I think it made 50 some bottles so approximate cost $1.30. For a craft chocolate stout that is a great price. The pizza cost maybe $3.00 to make and other than the flour, cheese, and yeast used local ingredients. It does make eat/ drink less because of the time involved so I am building health and wealth at the same time.

-Going out and just buying what I want: Because I am doing a low spend year (can't really call it a no spend) I can't just run to the store and buy what I want. The other day when I was cracking walnuts by hand I wanted to go and buy a vise. But that is not an emergency, nor did I have the money in my monthly $100 to spend. This saves me so much money!!! And it is so freeing although a bit obnoxious to not spend. It has taught me about impulse control.

-Going into proper stores: I have been getting my groceries from a pickup service. I never really realized how much I succumb to advertising! I had to into Aldi for dog food and I felt such a tremendous pull to look and shop! It is the same way when I get my water at Hardings. Head down and run quick. Food purchases have ALWAYS been a huge drain on my wallet. Know it is easy not to spend because I am not tempted by all of the things.

Which brings me to my spending update:

Yesterday: $9.65 on dog food
Total for February: $87.43

Toodles,