Sunday, September 25, 2022

Cheap Meal: Chicken Ala King

 So growing up I was scared of Chicken Ala King in the cafeteria. It was not something my parents made growing up. I always thought it was gross, because it was, in the cafeteria... No seasoning.

I was reading this Amish novel recently and they put some cheap and filling meals in it so I was like what the heck I will give it a try.

Here is the cost of the meal: 

Biscuits:



2 cup Flour: $.19

1 Baking Powder: $.10

1 tsp salt: $.03

1/3 cup butter: $.64

2/3 cup milk: $.27

Total: $1.23

Made 11 biscuits so $.11 per biscuit

This is the recipe I kind of used. https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/easy-biscuits/

I was starving so I didn't roll or cut the biscuits I just kind of patted them into a biscuit shape. Not my favorite, but not bad either. Good basic recipe.

Chicken ala King



So I used chicken my freezer that was already shredded so some of this is estimated to the best of my ability. Also the kale is from my CSA so it was hard to determine a price.

Shredded Carrot: $.10

1/4 cup onion: $.05

1 kale leaf: $.30

1/3 cup chicken: $.73 

Flour: $.01

Salt: $.03

1 tbsp butter: $.06

Milk: $.15

Black pepper: $.14

Garlic and Onion Powder: $.04

Rosemary, Sage, and Thyme from my garden: 0

Total: $1.61

Made 1.5 portions so $1.07 for a full portion

Total Meal Price:

3 biscuits: $.33

1 serving ala king: $1.07

Total $1.40