So obviously in my life I have to balance low cost and low waste. What does that mean for me? Sometimes I have to shop at places I would prefer not to, making concessions on product, and sometimes I just have a craving that is not low cost, low waste, and is just plain bad for me.
My day started at the Bank Street Market where I made the following purchases:
My day started at the Bank Street Market where I made the following purchases:
- Cabbage, onion, red potatoes, and carrots from Scobeys. The young man who waited on me was really kinda rude and made me take a plastic bag! $8
- Apples from the vendor by the chicken people. The farmer was nice enough to make me a mixed pack, but made me take a plastic bag. $3
- Kale from the farmers by the chicken people. Guy was happy I didn't want a bag. $2
Next stop The PFC which is practically no waste
- Popcorn $.57 *
- Fair trade chocolate drops $3.10 *
- Nutritional Yeast $1.17 *
- Dr. Bronner's Almond soap $2.03 *
Off to Meijer
- Bottle Return -$2.80
- Kool Aid.... this is not for drinking it is for making laundry detergent $1.08
- Vinegar $2.69
- Plugra Butter $2.49
Library
- Fines $1.85
- Two movies FREE
- Two books FREE
Walmart (I know I know)
- Dog food $20.88
- Yardley soap... the only packaging is the paper box $1.23
- Diet coke $1.78
My outing today cost me $49.07 with almost half of that going for dog food! That dog food will last me almost the whole month. I will be making some dog treats with leftover flour and a small amount of left over peanut butter.
I expect the carrots, onions, potatoes, apples, and half of the cabbage to last me about 2 weeks.
Most of the stuff from the PFC will last this week only. Except maybe the Dr Bronners.
I will be making dishwasher detergent tonight and will be using the kool aid and vinegar in it.
Meals for this week will be:
- Cheesy grits and roasted mushrooms
- Deconstructed cabbage rolls
- Carrot Soup
- Black bean tacos
- Curried garbanzo beans
- Eggs and tortillas
Snacks:
- No bake cookies
- Rainbow Drops
- Kale Chips
- Roasted toasted garbanzo beans
- Popcorn
- Apples and peanut butter
*These items were virtually waste free. Just the tare tags and whatever packaging the coop received them in!
Toodles
Toodles
Bitha
